Friday, June 15, 2012

A Toast

About four months ago I was taking a long plane ride from Kuwait back to America.  My year-long deployment was finally over.  I had a lot of time to think on that trip home, and at one point I was picturing what it was going to be like to be reunited with all the friends I’d left behind for the year.  I pictured it probably just as you might, like a scene out of a movie – there we all are at some local pub, enjoying ice cold beers and slaps on the back and ribbing each other about this and that; lots of laughter and celebration.  The “war hero” is finally home, and he made it back safe and sound – he served his country with honor.

That big celebration didn’t happen, and I’m savvy enough to understand why.  There is a lot of cynicism regarding our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and there has been from the beginning.  Very few Americans feel compelled to throw a ticker tape parade for our last ten years in the Middle East.  People have too many questions – too many reservations – about what the last decade has meant to want to hoist a soldier or sailor on their shoulders and parade them around the bar.  Frankly, I share some of that cynicism and would feel uncomfortable being welcomed back in such a high-spirited manner.

But as I sat on that plane picturing the Hollywood homecoming, I imagined a moment where someone might have given me the floor to share whatever thoughts I might have in light of my experience overseas, and this is what I heard myself saying:

“I was away for over a year from the two people who mean everything in the world to me – my two boys.  That was a long haul, and I’m glad it’s over.

“I would like to encourage anyone in this room who feels a certain cynicism toward what America is doing in the world lately...to not lose that cynicism.  It’s good to be skeptical; it’s good to question things.  It is necessary and healthy.
“I was also reminded while over there how important it is to have a sense of humor.  This helps to keep you and your friends from going insane.
“And I was reminded that, when all is said and done, the only thing we really have in this world that is worth anything is love.
“So, a toast: to a healthy cynicism, a sense of humor, and love.”
That’s what I would have wanted to say; that’s what I brought back from the desert.  The central theme of this blog is freedom.  You might be wondering what this post has to do with freedom.  I don’t know.  Maybe nothing; maybe everything.

2 comments:

  1. Healthy cynicism is to question everything - coming from the need to connect with and understand our reality (freedom for the mind). A sense of humor is a great resource to have in this Alice In Wonderland world we live in - learning to laugh at the insane illusions we have built (freedom of the heart). And last, but not least, love is light (freedom of the soul).

    THANKS for the food.

    ReplyDelete