Friday, June 29, 2012

Supreme Court Shifts The Spotlight

I know, I know, you've all been on pins and needles to know what the guy who just started a blog about freedom thinks about the Supreme Court's decision to uphold "Obamacare."  Well, after watching many people on the right and the left virtually masturbating over their respective positions on the Court's ruling yesterday, here's what I think.

First of all, as one who racked up over $16,000 in medical bills for two uninsured emergency room visits so a doctor could tell me to lay off caffeine (it was doing funny things to my heart), I would say I am happy for those who will be able to afford coverage going forward.

And I am glad that the Court found that upholding the law under the Commerce Clause was overreaching and unconstitutional.  Congress has needed to be reined in on that front for decades.  I'm also glad that the Court decided to uphold the law under the taxing power of Congress.  I think it's a good thing to move the spotlight over there so people might start debating just how far that power ought to go.  It's no secret that the rights of free people can be taxed into oblivion (see: the Revolutionary War).  Let's revive that long-neglected debate and see what ideas may arise.

My free e-Book is meant to help get the debate started.

No comments:

Post a Comment