Saturday, September 22, 2012

Don’t “Write Me Off” Too Soon, Society


(See what I did there with the title?  Like a tax "write off"?  We mustn't lose our sense of humor, folks.  I spent time with some great friends today and at least got that back.)

Any law that is in the books in this country is presumed to be the will of the People – it is what Society wants.  It would follow then that lawbreakers are those who are going against Society.

Anyone looking at my situation could very quickly come to the conclusion that I am breaking the law via civil disobedience where the income tax is concerned, and, therefore, I am obviously going against the will of Society because the law says I have to pay it.

But, Society, before you judge me, you may want to examine me a little more closely, and then perhaps reevaluate what your true will is.

Let me plant this in your head first: It’s 1850, and it is now a federal crime to assist fugitive slaves.  It is a federal crime to not hand them over to the authorities if you have the opportunity.  Let’s say you decide to help a known fugitive slave get from point A to point B on their journey to freedom.  Technically, you are a criminal.  But in helping a fellow human being escape bondage, did you really commit a crime?  Are your actions truly worthy of punishment?

Let’s jump back to today.  You ask, “Who’s this uppity piano tuner in Illinois thinking he’s above the law?  Why, he’s nothing but a whining freeloader!  Take him away!”  Well, let me try to give you a better picture.

I’m a single dad.  I have two boys to whom I am very devoted.  We are a tight-knit family.  We love music and video games and humor and each other.  They also have a devoted mother and have roughly equal time with both of their parents.

I tune pianos for a living; I have no employees.  Apart from the income tax, I pay taxes every day.  Most of the money I earn pays for food and gasoline.  The gasoline is for running my car so I can get to my tunings so I can get paid and buy more food.  We like to eat every day (it's become a habit).  I spend every dollar I make, and I pay taxes every time I spend those dollars.  As a renter, I pay a part of my landlord’s property taxes, and there are probably some other business-related taxes of his I help pay.  If the income tax disappeared tonight, we would all still be “taxpayers,” make no mistake.

You might be thinking right now, “Ha, a piano tuner who doesn’t want to pay his income taxes, and he doesn’t even provide jobs for other people.  No employees; just makes money for himself.  This guy isn’t contributing much to Society.  He needs to pay up.”

Well, it’s true that my business provides a job only for me.  So, maybe I really don’t make much of a contribution, right?  I only make pianos functional so that professional pianists can perform and their agents and promoters have something to do; so that piano teachers have an instrument their students can use; so that piano students have something to practice on at home.  If pianos couldn’t be tuned and the keys kept from malfunctioning, then people wouldn’t buy them from dealers, and dealers would stop ordering them from manufacturers.  Piano performers (with their agents and promoters), piano teachers, dealers, and manufacturers would have to look for other work.  This would affect businesses that market pianos and do their advertising.  The industries that supply raw materials for pianos would see their orders diminished.  And what industries are those?  Well, there's the lumber industry, and steel, copper, iron, brass, wool, leather, cloth, vinyl, plastic, paint, glue, graphite, ink, finishers, movers, etc.
 
So, yeah, piano tuners aren't really plugged into anything.  It’s just me, and I’m just a leech who sucks up resources and gives nothing in return.

If you do anything for 47 years, you can safely be said to be an expert.  At 47-years-old, I certainly qualify as an expert in two very important areas: on being human, and on being a part of Society.  As a human being and as a member of Society, if anyone approached me and said, “I work hard all year round to provide for myself and my children.  My labor is my only resource for providing for us.  In the normal course of the year, even during this recession, I make enough to make ends meet, maybe a little above living month-to-month, but not much more.  I have no financial cushion to rest on if times get really tough.  I’ve decided that the income tax is not much different than having to pay for breathing as far as my rights are concerned, so I’ve stopped paying it, yet I still contribute to government coffers every day with no problem.  What do you think?  Should I have all my money taken away so they can collect what they say I owe?  Should I face time in prison for not filing returns?  Should my family be broken up and traumatized?  Or should I be left alone to continue doing what I’ve been doing – supporting myself and my family so we’re not a burden to anyone else?”

As an expert human being and member of Society, I couldn’t find it within myself to tell such a person that they deserve the punishments prescribed in the law, even though the law, being "in the books," presumes that that is my will.  I couldn’t identify those punishments and their rather dire consequences as being aligned with my will in any way.  I would come to the conclusion that this person isn’t “going against Society” at all, and if they deserve anything, it would be the encouragement to keep on keepin’ on; it would be a pat on the back.  I’d tell them they are doing exactly what Society expects of them as a responsible, adult human being, and they should be left alone to continue doing it.  After all, government has the ways and means of raising its necessary revenues without in any way interfering with that person’s going out and earning their living, so why should it?  What’s the point?

In the same way, if it was 1852 and someone told me they just helped a slave escape to freedom, I’d reflect on the 1850 Fugitive Slave Law, remind myself that I am talking to a felon, and buy him a drink.

I would submit to you that our laws concerning the income tax are out of step with the true will of Society, despite the fact that they’re “in the books.”  I could poll everyone in my building on this (fellow members of Society), and I know that all of them would prefer me out working and supporting my boys rather than being punished according to the law.  And if I (being as legitimate a member of Society as you are) wouldn’t condemn and punish you for not paying the income tax, knowing that you contribute other taxes into the coffers every day, why would you punish me?  I can’t think of a person I’ve ever met who would have come up with and tried to promote a tax system so harsh and controlling, threatening and manipulative.  Not one.  So, whose will does the law, with its very harsh and debilitating punishments, really represent?

No comments:

Post a Comment